Am. Bittern in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2008
      Thu, 17 Jan 2008 -- This evening I saw an AMERICAN BITTERN on the
      McMenomey Vineyard pond just to the south of the Potter Valley Cemetery on
      West Road. This is only the second bittern that I have seen in Potter in
      35 years. You can see into the pond from the south end of the cemetery.
      Look for the small patch of cattails on the east end. There were also a
      few American Goldeneyes, Ring-necked and Ruddy Ducks. About a quarter
      mile to the south at sunset there was an adult BALD EAGLE sitting in the
      dead top of a redwood.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • marigoldklein
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2008
        Kate Marionchild and I went to the pond by the cemetery today and
        the bittern is still there. Beautiful creature! We watched it
        for a long time. I was amazed by it's ability to blend in. As I
        looked at it, it slowly shifted it's body, coming into exact alignment
        with the cattails until it disappeared, with me still looking at it
        but no longer able to distinguish it from it's background. The
        cattails were slightly bent in one direction, probably from a storm,
        and the bittern bent it's body to exactly the same angle, with it's
        colors exactly matching the shades of brown of cattails in the sun.
        It was like the way foxes can shift their shape until what
        you know is still the fox, transforms to look like a log in the shadows.

        --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, chaniot@... wrote:

        > Thu, 17 Jan 2008 -- This evening I saw an AMERICAN BITTERN on the
        > McMenomey Vineyard pond just to the south of the Potter Valley
        Cemetery on
        > West Road. This is only the second bittern that I have seen in
        Potter in
        > 35 years. You can see into the pond from the south end of the cemetery.
        > Look for the small patch of cattails on the east end. There were also a
        > few American Goldeneyes, Ring-necked and Ruddy Ducks. About a quarter
        > mile to the south at sunset there was an adult BALD EAGLE sitting in the
        > dead top of a redwood.
        >
        > George Chaniot
        > Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      • marigoldklein
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2008
          I put photos of the bittern (taken by Kate)into the photo album.