Northern Shrike - Ten Mile / North MacKerricher SP - 01/12/08

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2008
      Late this morning, we had a Northern Shrike south of the Ten Mile
      River mouth. Toby Tobkin first called out "Shrike!" and Art Morley
      and myself got our scopes focused on it. Toby never did get a
      very good look at it. I did get some good views, but she could not
      see it in my scope.
      This was an adult bird, without any brown at all, plus it had a short
      appearing bill. But, it could not be turned into a Loggerhead, especially
      after studying photos and several field guides.
      The bird was very active, flying from bushes to the tall grass, moving
      south then west then south. Jim tried to keep up with it, but he lost
      sight of it in the dunes, but still near the haul road. The fog started
      to come in (it is now quite foggy at 1:30-pm).
      Note to Bob: 299.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile Area
      North of Fort Bragg, CA