Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Jan 8, 2008
      On Sunday the 6th, Dave Woodward and I saw a COMMON
      MOORHEN at Clearlake Oaks (lagoon at county park), and
      at High Valley we found a CACKLING GOOSE, a LEWIS'S
      WOODPECKER and a YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE. Seven species
      of gulls were present at Redbud Park. We were amazed
      by how few fish-eating birds were present on the
      eastern side of the lake.

      On Saturday the 5th, I relocated the male TUFTED DUCK
      among about 500 scaup at Borax Lake. Its sides are
      still dirty, as they were during the CBC on December
      15, but it has a long, thin tuft and it is relatively
      easy to find among the scaup whose numbers may rise
      dramatically in the coming months. Rafts of 500-1000
      NORTHERN SHOVELERS were out on Clear Lake at Clearlake
      Park; I've never such such numbers on Clear Lake, so I
      assume it had something to do with the storms (there
      were still a few thousand at nearby Borax Lake,
      presumably where they came from).

      On Friday the 4th, I checked out Hidden Valley Lake
      (the reservoir) and found 10 HORNED GREBES (storm
      wrecked?), a COMMON LOON, and a mixed flock of about
      25 TREE SWALLOWS and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS (definitely
      no Barn Swallows among them). A CACKLING GOOSE was
      among the CANADA GEESE on the golf course.

      On Tuesday the 1st, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE was
      with a flock of CANADA GEESE at Detert Reservoir.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • stevestump