frigatebird update

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2008
      8 January 2008 - I just got a response from the Cordelia
      International Bird Rescue Research Center that received the Sonoma
      County frigatebird that was rescued on Jan 5th. If you look at the
      IBRRC website http://ibrrc.org/ they have a photo and update about
      the bird. In short ...it is still in too fragile of condition to
      mess with for further photos or measurements. Once the bird is in
      better condition (which we all hope for) then PRBO will be brought in
      for final species identification.

      In an earlier posting I misled you saying that there were only a
      dozen or so Magnificient Frigatebird records in California ...there
      are actually several sightings each year in southern California
      (about 8 per year (1991-2003 period) based upon NAB
      records. Historically there were even more records per year. In
      total, however, 95% of the Magnificient Frigatebird occurrences in
      California fall between early June and mid-Sept (Rare Birds of
      California 2007). The species was only reviewed by the CBRC for the
      years 1972 to 1974 (10 records accepted) and was then taken off of
      the "species review list" due to its common occurrence.

      On the other hand, there have only been two accepted Great
      Frigatebird records in California ...Oct 1979 and March 1992.

      Measurements will probably be necessary to determine which species it
      actually is ...so time will tell. I mention all this because this is
      most probably the bird that was seen off the bluffs at the Point
      Arena Lighthouse Road on Christmas Day ...and thus the pertinence to
      Mendocino County. Good Birding! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road