Black-headed Grosbeak

  • Barbara E. Dolan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
      Pre-storm Update;

      The Grosbeak was seem at my feeder on 1-01-08 at 10:20am. It stayed 4
      minutes and ate about 44 sunflower seeds, removing the husks easily.
      The next visit seen was 1-05-08. It came at 2:52PM. It stayed 2
      minutes, only to be flushed by a WSJA.Barbara , Ukiah.

      WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

    • Barbara E. Dolan
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 21, 2008
        The Black-headed Grosbeak that has been coming to my yard since 12/09/07
        was seen again on 4/19(6:10PM) and 4/21/086:50AM. A triangle of skin is
        observeable on the right neck of the bird from the throat to the
        shoulder right of midline. The nape of the neck is also thin of
        feathering. The feathers and retrices in some areas look like
        cellophane brown . It appears to be eating well and attentive to
        surroundings. Barbara, Ukiah.

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 15, 2008
          To all; on 12-14-08, 2:30PM my feeder was visited by a Black-headed
          Grosbeak. We are hoping it stays and / or is visible so it could be
          included in our CBC. I will keep the black sunflower seeds flowing. bd

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
            This bird arrived at 7:55 A.M. 1-3-09.

            I had not seen it since 12-28-08 at 1:30PM. Its arrival times have been between 7-8:50 AM and 1:30PM and 3:30PM. It appears to be missing feathering on its collar at the nape, but otherwise looks and behaves okay.

            It has been flying off toward Perkins each time it is flushed.

            It ate only 11 seeds and then got flushed off by noisy WSJA .

            I have had an influx of House Finches of all colors-yellowish, oranges and reds on the males. Only a few females. One reddish male today surprised me with a bill that was very long and curved downgoing. I would guess the length 1 and ¼" to 1 and ½ ". Does anyone know about this abnormality? It was feeding fine. Barbara

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 28, 2009
              To all; the BHGB was seen the 8:00AM in my yard. This is the first
              sighting/and visit since 1-9-09. I figure it has been feasting on the
              berries around. It only stayed seconds on the feeder nearest the house.
              It looked less ragged and the orange very bright. I was unable to see
              if feathers had returned to its nape and collar . It had a previous loss
              of feathers in the area.

              I also have a returning and/ or another WHITE-THROATED SPARROW-TAN
              STRIPE MORPH and was surprised to see again. The RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
              was seen coming down the tree on 1-24-09. It used to come to the suet
              but it appears it its feeding more outside the yard. Barbara

              WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                5 May 2009 (Tuesday) - this morning we briefly had a male Black-Headed
                Grosbeak in the front yard.

                Tim Bray
                Middle Ridge, Albion
                Message 7 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                  Sun-Tue, 3-5 May 2009 -- We have had an adult male BHGB coming to feed
                  both at our yard and the south yard (with feeders) in Ocean Meadows Circle,
                  1/2 mi north of Ten Mile River for three days.

                  Also, the WHT-THROATED SPARROW  is still coming to the seed as of today,
                  5 May.

                  Alas, I have NOT seen any of the TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS for at least
                  one + week.  As I recall, the TRBL's left briefly from the pond across Hwy 1 last
                  year, so hopefully they will return shortly to our area.

                  Karen Havlena
                  Ten Mile Area
                  North of Fort Bragg, CA

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2013
                    Sun, 7 April 2013 -- This morning Jim called me to the kitchen to see a male
                    Black-headed Grosbeak feeding where I just put out seed.  I think this is only
                    the fourth one for Ocean Meadows and the first time one has been in our yard.
                    They don't stick around here on the bare, coastal bench for long.

                    Jim and Karen Havlena
                    North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca