Blk-lg'd Kittiwakes & Rock Sandpiper - Laguna Point

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      Hi-- The rain stopped for a time this afternoon, so I headed for
      Laguna Point in MacKerricher SP. I saw five Black-legged
      Kittiwakes offshore that flew in toward the point. They landed
      briefly, so I got good looks through the scope. One was a
      first cycle bird and the others were adults. I could clearly
      see key points, such as small, black wing tips without any
      mirrors, white underwings, & largish head. The 1st year
      had a black half-collar, a black bar on the tail tip, and a
      black M (or W) across the dorsal part of the wing. This
      is exciting -- I feel like a race horse rounding the curve
      toward the wire! (Thanks to CEV and DT for recent tips.
      Note to Bob = 298).

      There was also a Rock Sandpiper at the point.

      I then went to Ward Ave, hoping to see the LTDU that
      Ron found yesterday. No luck with that. Earlier, I
      saw the Redhead at Ten Mile River.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA