Red-tailed Hawks

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2001
      We have been feeding a mature Red-tailed Hawk the last couple of
      days. He/she does not appear to be injured, but may be ill or simply
      malnourished. It stays mostly on the ground or low perches and is
      pretty mellow about being approached.
      This is the second hawk in the last few weeks in Potter Valley with
      this behavior, the other having died after a few days of care in
      captivity. We hope to keep this guy alive without the trauma of
      capture.
      Any ideas about caring for this bird or other instances of RTH's in
      this condition would be helpful.
      Jim Armstrong