Ukiah CBC

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2007
      Saturday - 15 December 2007 - There was a fantastic turnout for the
      Ukiah CBC with 42 people showing up for the compilation dinner
      ....and many more than that for the count (haven't added them up
      yet). At 125 species for Count Day we came close to the record of
      127. Highlights included a male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK and a
      RED-THROATED LOON, both new to the count. A WESTERN TANAGER was, I
      believe, only the second record for the count. We had a royal flush
      of expected owls for the count, thanks to the diligent "Owling Crew",
      with BARN OWL, GREAT HORNED OWL, WESTERN SCREECH OWL, NORTHERN PYGMY
      OWL, AND NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL all being seen or heard on count
      day. Most other species were certainly expected, and sometimes
      hard-to-find ones like RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW, AMERICAN
      DIPPER, ROSS'S GOOSE, MOUNTAIN QUAIL, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS
      were all found. Roger Foote led a very successful "novice group" at
      the Mendocino Community College with 15 enthusiastic participants. A
      hearty thank you to all the Area Leaders and all of the participants
      ...it could not be done without you! Good Birding . Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road