Possible Slaty-backed Gull at Clearlake

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2007
      To make a long story short, Jerry White and I were
      intrigued by a whitish 1st-cycle bird with dark
      wingtips and a dark tail. However, distinguishing a
      1st-cycle Slaty-backed Gull from a 1st-cycle hybrid
      Glaucous-winged X Herring Gull is a larophile's
      nightmare, and it could be just a hybrid. There is a
      reason why none of the 16 accepted records of
      Slaty-backed Gull published in Rare Birds of
      California was a 1st-cycle bird.

      I have posted photos of the gull and a brief
      discussion at:

      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/slaty-backedgull2

      If anybody is interested in a wild gull chase, it
      appeared at Redbud Park in the early afternoon
      (between 12:00 and 1:00) on Saturday and Sunday, but
      definitely wasn't there in the morning of either day.
      On Sunday morning I was shocked to discover a few
      thousand gulls loafing on the roof of Wal Mart (Dam
      Rd., opposite Old Highway 53), which could be viewed
      by climbing up the hill beside the parking lot, and
      the gull was there among them for more than an hour
      (9:30-10:45). (Incidentally, Wal Mart's security chief
      sent over a guard to check out the wacko armed with a
      telescope, then decided I was harmless.)

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?