Clear Lake CBC

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2007
      A very successful count was held in Lake County yesterday. Pending some additional documentation that will be turned into Darlene Hecomovich (our count compiler) it appears the final total species number will be 150 plus. This will be the highest number ever for this count.
      Some (not all) of the highlights included; a flock of SNOW GEESE seen by Nikki White, Susanne Scholtz and Marilyn Waits; a TUFTED DUCK found on Borax Lake by Floyd Hayes, a BARROW'S GOLDENEYE I found late in the day, RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS found by Dave Woodward and Floyd Hayes, an OSPREY found by Dave Woodward, a near sweep of the gulls on the existing list missing only Glaucous Gull, 7 species of owls ; highlighted by 2 SHORT-EARED OWLS I found at Anderson Marsh just after 5:00 PM and a calling SPOTTED OWL that Bryan McIntosh and I heard in Boggs State Forest about 9:00 PM . Bryan and I headed up there after the count dinner realizing we were near the 150 species mark.
      Two YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIES showed up on count day for Dave Woodward in High Valley. Dave and I over the past few weeks had made multiple scouting trips up there with no success.
      A "WESTERN FLYCATCHER"was found by Sharon Matzinger,a CANYON WREN found by Bryan McIntosh, 2 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS found by Floyd Hayes, TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE found by Bryan McIntosh, a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT found by Cliff Johnson, a possible WESTERN TANAGER pending review of details found by one of the birders, a good number of species of sparrows were found, and RED CROSSBILL found by Bryan McIntosh.
      The highlight of the day could turn out to be the "possible" 1st cycle SLATY-BACKED GULL I found in Redbud Park (City of Clearlake) around 12:30 PM. I reached Floyd Hayes by cell phone who was nearby. He and I studied the bird for a fair amount of time before it flew. Floyd took a number of digiscope photos.
      We had the bird in direct comparison to Western, Glaucous-winged, Thayers, Herring and California Gulls.
      Based on size, structure, and plumage it appears to fit Slaty-backed Gull.

      All in all the day turned out to be the "perfect storm" in a positive sense. Jerry White

    • grebeman2
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2008
        On Saturday morning at around 8:00 AM a group of us saw the
        LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Austin Park in Clearlake.

        I was not able to attend the count dinner so do not have details of
        what was seen overall on the day. However, birds of local CBC interest
        that Guy Commeau and I saw were; Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, Sage Sparrow,
        Tree Swallow, Common Loon, and Eurasian Collared-Dove.
        We also had a teal at Borax Lake the showed some of the characteristics
        of a "Common Teal". Jerry White
      • dhecomovich
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2008
          To follow up on Jerry White's posting, we ended up with an unoffical
          count of 146 species. In addition to those species noted by Jerry, we
          also had 1 each of the following: Northern Goshawk, Ferruginous Hawk,
          Merlin, Lewis' Woodpecker, and Black-throated Gray Warbler.
          Darlene Hecomovich