AL - Laysan Albatross

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2007
      12 &13 December 2007 - T.Reid reported to me that AL was at the
      Point Arena Cove yesterday and today ...and came in VERY close to the
      pier several times.
      He was able to photograph AL, including on "take-off" and the legs
      appear to be working ...and reported that AL could possible be
      favoring the right leg... but it was somewhat difficult to tell even
      directly below the pier in clear water. If you look at the attached
      photo taken by Mr. Reid it looks as if both feet are used during the
      running. In the sequence of three photos that were provided to me
      the left foot splash MAY be a little larger than the right foot
      splash ...but both feet are definitely being used. Several birders
      were able to see AL, including a San Diego fellow who specifically
      came to Pt. Arena for the chance of seeing this famous Laysan Albatross.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      arena." Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010
        9 December 2010 - Thursday - Bill Mauck reports that Big Al was present this
        AM 0740 - 0755 about 75 meters NE of the end of the fishing pier. Fanned his
        wings once just to make sure Cathy and Bill understood his regal presence.
        Otherwise just stayed in place and preened from time to time.

        On Wednesday evening at dusk they couldn't see him - maybe he/she wasn't
        there or maybe the rain on their lens and deeping darkness hid him. But,
        there he was in the morning!

        Posted for Bill by Bob Keiffer. Good Birding!

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
          27 February 2011 - I just read on CAL BIRDS about in inquiry concerning
          "AL" the Point Arena Cove Laysan Albatross. From the CAL BIRDS report I see
          that Skip Augur of Chico saw "AL" on 27 February, but someone else reported
          that the bird was not see for the last two days (2/3 March). There are so
          many birders interested in seeing this bird, or knowing about its
          activities, that I would really appreciate it if anyone seeing AL would post
          it on Mendobirds .or at least send me an email directly. Whenever I post
          the historical comings and goings of this bird I get replies from people all
          over the world (yes, even outside the U.S.) who are intrigued by this bird.

          So, for the record, please post "AL" sightings even though the bird may
          seem routine for us locally. Also . for this 2010/2011 stay, AL will be
          leaving soon and it would be nice to know exactly which day that AL departs.
          Also .did any surfers happen to collect a feather from AL? .if so we can
          have it analyzed for cheap as to which sex the bird is.

          Good Birding. and thanks. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...

        • Richard Kuehn
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
            As I was the individual who’d posted that I’d not seen “AL” on either March
            2/3 after reading an inquiry on CALBIRDS, I do want everyone to know that
            the 3 Pacific Golden-Plovers continue near the Point Arena Lighthouse
            cabins. They were walking about feeding on insects with a Killdeer on the
            eastern side of the buildings when I stopped there Wednesday, March 2nd.

            Good Birding,

            Rich

            Richard Kuehn

            WindandSea at The Sea Ranch

[...]