More Lake Mendocino Birds

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2007
      Mon, 10 Dec 2007 -- I spent the morning again at Lake Mendocino
      concentrating on refinding the loon for a closer view. I didn't find the
      loon, but I did find some more interesting birds. There was a female
      RED-BREASTED MERGANSER near the south boat ramp resting in the water and
      on shore. There was also in the south end a lone female Common Merganser
      trailing about three feet of fishing line in flight. There was a group of
      19 California Gulls in the same area and they were joined by an adult
      THAYER'S GULL and a RING-BILLED GULL. I have birded the lake for the last
      four days, and the gulls seem to change daily. The only constant has been
      an adult HERRING GULL that likes to sit on the buoys in the Pomo A area.
      The group of CACKLING GEESE has grown to 51. Only two have partial white
      collars, there is a big range of browns on their breasts, and a few have
      divided chin patches.They were mainly near the south ramp but were
      swimming to the east shore when last seen. The ROSS'S GOOSE is still
      hanging out with his two buddies near Oak Grove. It's a good photo
      opportunity for someone.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA