Harris's Sparrow

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
      9 December 2007 - Marybeth Arago reports that she has a Harris's
      Sparrow has shown up at their feeder yesterday the 8th in Fort
      Bragg, It was confirmed as such on Sunday (DT)...and is a probably
      different bird from the Ocean Meadows Circle - Ten Mile Harris's
      Sparrow which was still there on the 7th. If interested in seeing
      this bird you can call Marybeth at 962-0724 anytime after 8:15am.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      arena." Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2011
        1 December 2011 - Thursday - Karen Havlena reports that an immature Harris's Sparrow showed up this morning at their yard at Oceanside (just north of Ten Mile River). She and Jim saw it briefly though their window ... but they have some construction wok going on right now and the yard/house is in a bit a disarray and have not been able to relocate it yet. They have a local flock of crowned-sparrows that they feed regularly, and they are hoping that the Harris's Sparrow settles in with the flock and stays for a while. If they refind the bird they will post it. If you have a huge desire to search for this bird you should call Karen at 707-972-5440 (cell). Posted for Karen by Bob Keiffer. Good birding.

      • Sandberg, Stephen
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 9 9:04 PM
          A juvenile Harris's Sparrow visited my feeder in residential Fort Bragg today, January 9th.  If you are interested in the photos I took, please let me know.

          Regards,

          Steve Sandberg
          Fort Bragg, CA
        • todd.lancer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15 7:31 PM
            Wed, 15 January 2014 The immature HARRIS'S SPARROW was observed again this afternoon at my feeder in residential Fort Bragg.

            /Steve Sandberg
          • Robert Keiffer
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 12, 2014
              12 February 2014 - Wednesday - Today, Scott Harris from Willits found a Harris's Sparrow that is searchable by others. It is in an area where the city of Willits has cleared a bunch of blackberries and they are still in piles ...and some blackberries are still left. The location is on the edge of Broadus (spelling?) Creek, and is just about 400 feet south of the Skunk Railroad Depot. I cannot post the photos here, but one of Scott's photos shows an aqua-blue house in the background, with the bird perched atop a limby brush pile.... This may be a good reference for searching for it. Posted for Scott Harris by Bob keiffer, Hopland rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

              [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
              Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
              4070 University Rd.
              Hopland, CA 95449
              707-744-1424 ext. 112
              Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 13, 2014
                I birded the area mentioned above today from 4pm to 4:35 pm and right as I was about to leave at 4:35 pm the Harris's Sparrow jumped up in the open. I was able to get a couple pics at the link below. Thanks Scott and Bob for the post.

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 13, 2014
                  Sorry I forgot name and time. Steve Stump @ 5:15 pm
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 14, 2014
                    Fri, 14 Feb 2014 -- After failing to find the HARRIS'S SPARROW yesterday, I
                    went back today a little later (10:10-11:05) to look again. Jack Booth was
                    there ahead of me. We saw the bird sitting high in the back brush pile
                    about 10:25. After a bit, it retired deep into the center of the pile. At
                    10:40 I saw it again briefly as it returned from the far side of the creek
                    and went deep into the same pile again.
                    The location in Willits is easy to find along the tracks between
                    Commercial Street and E. Valley Street. About 400 feet S. of the Skunk
                    Train Depot are some piles of cut brush between the tracks and Broaddus
                    Creek in roughly three heaps. Both of my sightings this morning were in the
                    heap furthest from the tracks. The bird likes the deep center of the pile.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                  • stevestump
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 14, 2014
                      2-14-14 1338
                       I submitted "Stakeout Harris's Sparrow" as a hotspot for those interested in entering the bird on eBird. Thanks Steve Stump
                    • stevestump
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 31, 2015
                        10/31/15 1400

                        There is a Harris's Sparrow mixed in with a flock of White and Golden Crowned Sparrows at the Westport Beach RV park and campground. It is located just north of the Westport Wastewater Plant. The bird was seen about 50 yards past the office headng east. Steve Stump
                      • Tim Bray
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2015
                          29 November 2015 (Sunday) - Just after lunch, two of us saw a 1st-winter Harris's Sparrow through the kitchen window.  It was on the ground about 20 feet away, loosely associated with some Golden-crowned Sparrows.
                          The pale color and face-pattern caught my eye, then it turned and showed the black chest markings.  It stayed in view just long enough to get binoculars on it, then something spooked it into a nearby hedge.  I never found it again, though in looking for it I did get a glimpse of a White-throated Sparrow.

                          A large flock of sparrows hangs around our place, feasting on the chicken feed and bathing in the pond.  They seem to be attracting the occasional migrant (and lately, Accipiters).
                          Unfortunately the location is down a private road behind a gate, not visible from any public access.
                          --
                          Cheers,
                          Tim Bray

                          Ecology Hour