Lake Cleone

  • fred_andrews99
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
      12/9/07 Lake Cleone - MacKerricher State Park
      9 -10:45 am 40F at 9 am

      Parking Lot
      Brewers Blackbirds

      On or Near the Lake
      100+ American Coots
      Several Mallards
      5 Double-crested Cormorants
      Buffleheads, 4 female, 4 male
      1 Eared Grebe, non-breeding plumage
      1 Pied-billed Grebe
      1 Great Blue Heron
      About 12 Scaups, Greater or Lesser
      1 Northern Harrier soaring low over the lake
      About two dozen Western Gulls
      Other gulls not able to ID

      Tidal Pond West of Lake
      1 Pacific Loon
      Several coots

      Trail Around the Lake
      Flock of Chestnut-backed Chickadees in trees
      Flock of House Finches in trees
      1 Common Raven
      5 Stellars Jays
      1 Acorn Woodpecker
      1 Ruby Crowned Kinglet
      Flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers, very active in trees south of the
      lake
      1 Red-tailed Hawk perched in dead tree on south side of lake
      1 Turkey Vulture soaring overhead

      Fred Andrews
    • d_l_woodward
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
        Yesterday afternoon 9/4 at Lake Cleone, both Summer Tanagers were present at the same location described by previous observers, the small clearing on the north side of the lake where the trail changes from boardwalk to asphalt. The tanagers came in together at 1:20pm. Both of them were still feeding when we left about 20 minutes later.

        Dave Woodward
      • fred.andrews47
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 14, 2009
          Walked around Lake Cleone 12/14/09.

          I saw a strange looking bird on the south side of the lake, on the water in the a sheltered cove. To me it resembled a common moorhen. But that makes no sense.

          Saw a river otter in water on north side of lake, near boardwalk.

          Marsh wren
          American coots
          Common Ravens
          Double-crested cormorants
          1 femle northern shoveler on west side of lake
          Pied-billed grebes
          Mallards
          Steller's Jays
          Turkey Vultures
          Yellow-rumped warblers myrtle population
          1 Eurasian collared-dove
          American robins
          Chestnut-backed chickadees
          1 female varied thrush from the dirt path on south side of lake
          6 male and 6 female Ring-necked ducks on the west side of the lake

          Fred
        • fred.andrews47
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
            On the trail around Lake Cleone, August 28, 2010, 1;35 P.M. tO 3:30, Cloudy skies, slight breeze.

            Mallards, Brewer's blackbirds, 1 osprey, 1 Great blue heron, 1 Pied-billed grebe, Barn and Violet-green swallows, 3 Turkey vultures, 3 Common ravens, 1 marsh wren (heard), Western gulls, 1 Heerman's gull among the Western gulls on the lake (1st winter, brown, pale bill), 1 song sparrow, 1 male downy woodpecker, 40+ Cedar waxwings perched at top of dead pines near pumphouse, Chestnut-backed chickadees, 1 Western scrub jay, 1 male Wilson's warbler, 1 mourning dove, possibly 4 Band-tailed pigeons, Steller's Jays, 2 Vaux's swifts, 1 male Anna's hummingbird (heard others), and 1 Double-crested cormorant flying overhead.

            Fred