AL is back!

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      7 December 2007 - Hooray! AL, the local winter visiting Laysan Albatross is, in fact, back. It was reported to me by two independent observers (Thank you Tom and Grace) that at 2:45 pm Mel Smith saw him fly in and land at the wharf. At 4:30 pm one of my tried-and-true observers verified it with Zeiss and with Elites. It is just riding in the water and preening. So here is the new and improved chronological list of arrivals and departure dates:

      Here is a revised list of first reported arrival dates and last reported
      >season's dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:
      > ???? to? 28 Feb 1994 (T.Easterla & J.Booker)
      >30 Nov 1994 to 27 March 1995 (report of two birds in synchronized
      >courtship? flight during the end of this period)
      >5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
      >3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
      >27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
      >12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
      >4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on 2 April
      >2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
      >26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
      >28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
      >21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
      >25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
      >28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005
      26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006
      25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007
      7 Dec 2007 to "time will tell"

      Good Birding. Bob Keiffer (egg off my face)