Greater Sand Plover, Tufted Duck . . . Update

  • Matt Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2001
      I got to Stinson Beach around 2:00 PM on Sunday (high tide had been at
      about 11:40 AM) and things looked bleak until just before 4:00 PM. The
      TUFTED DUCK was nowhere to be seen and the 50 or so people there to see
      the Greater Sand Plover were all feeling pretty discouraged. With the
      multitude of scopes we could see a large group of BLACK BELLIED PLOVERS
      on the sand bar across the lagoon. There was at least one plover smaller
      than all the rest, but it was too far to see the important field marks.
      It looked as if they were going to stay on that sand bar for good when
      someone yelled out "I've got it!!!!" and there on the close in mud
      flats, visible to the naked eye and definitely ID-able with binoculars
      was the GREATER SAND PLOVER . The crowd went from the depths to the
      heights, and a number of residents came from their houses to see (I'm
      sure the Sunday San Francisco Chronicle article heightened their
      interest). There were great comparison views as the Plover walked among
      groups of DUNLIN. After watching the plover for about a half hour I
      went down to the end of the street and got a great look at the male CAPE
      MAY WARBLER in the bottlebrush tree, and then went back to the other
      side of the lagoon (at milepost 13.5 of Route 1) and saw the male TUFTED
      DUCK mixed in with about a dozen GREEN-WINGED TEAL and half a dozen
      PINTAILS right by the shoreline. Further up Route 1 was a group of 9
      male and 5 female EURASIAN WIDGEONS visible with the naked eye from the
      side of the road.

      Those are just the highlights. If you go this week, I would get there
      around 3:00 PM. It is well worth the trip.