Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2007
      Fri, 07 Dec 2007 -- This morning at Lake Mendocino there were a few birds
      of CBC interest:
      BONAPARTE'S GULL, 1, southmost end of the Lake, Area 3.
      CACKLING GEESE, 26, south of the South Boat Ramp. Flew to the north shore
      near Oak Grove Parking Lot, Area 2
      ROSS'S GOOSE, 1, with the Cacklers., Area 2
      ROCK WREN, 1, Coyote Dam between markers 004 and 005, Area 2
      SNOWY EGRET, 1, Pomo A, Area 2.
      HERRING GULL, 1 adult, Pomo A, Area 2.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
        Wed, 09 Jul 2008 -- I did a survey of the Lake Mendocino on Wednesday.
        There was little of note except a few returning migrants: an adult
        RING-BILLED GULL and two adult CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south marina, and two
        adult LEAST SANDPIPERS at Pomo A.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27 4:08 PM
          Fri, 27 Feb 2009 -- I got out to the lake between rains today. The water
          level has gone up to an elevation of 721.2' from a low of 711.4' on the
          10th, but the water is turbid and there is a fair amount of floating debris.
          Bird numbers are down except for widgeon, scaup, and gulls. TREE SWALLOWS
          were cruising about everywhere, and I saw one VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW.
          There was a group of gulls on the mud near the south ramp with birds
          streaming to and from Ukiah. Among the California and Ring-billed Gulls was
          a first winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL and a 1st winter bird which I take to be
          a THAYER'S GULL but on the very pale side. [ smaller than Glaucous-winged,
          larger than California, bill relatively small, bill all black, wing coverts
          neatly speckled, secondaries slightly darker than coverts in flight,
          primaries cafe au lait and finely edged with light color.] Others may want
          to take a look at this bird.
          Last night Comet Lulin was visible with binoculars in Leo. Tonight, if
          it stays clear, it should be visible very close to Regulus, the brightest
          star in Leo.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA

          Western Grebe 3
          Clark's Grebe 1
          Western/Clark's Grebe 132
          Canada Goose 88
          Cackling Goose 9
          Mallard 138
          Northern Shoveler 1
          American Wigeon 91
          Greater Scaup 5
          scaup sp 259 most apparently Greater
          Bufflehead 3
          Common Merganser 2
          Ruddy Duck 6
          Bald Eagle 1 adult
          American Coot 200
          Killdeer 1
          Ring-billed Gull 33
          California Gull 107
          Thayer's Gull? 1 pale 1st winter
          Herring Gull 1 adult
          Glaucous-winged Gull 1 1st winter
        • Bob Keiffer
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19, 2009
            18 April 2009 - Saturday - With the weather warming there was lots of human activity on the lake ...skiers, kayakers, fishermen, etc. by late morning. However, I was able to spot a mature and immature BALD EAGLE on the east side, along with a single BONAPARTE'S GULL. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
              Thu, 28 Jul 2011 -- This morning I covered Lake Mendocino and peered into
              every corner - at least telescopically. The water level is up to the inlet
              road and the Oak Grove parking lot, but thankfully the lake is not
              overfilled like last summer. I found no shorebird habitat anywhere, but
              there might be some deep in Hunter's Cove or Perry Cove. Canada Geese and
              Western/Clark's Grebes predominate. Of summer interest were two BONAPARTE'S
              GULLS in the south half and one HERRING GULL in the north half.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA

              Western Grebe 15
              Clark's Grebe 12
              Aechmophorus sp. 61
              Great Egret 1
              Canada Goose 195
              Mallard 24
              Common Merganser 6
              Osprey 2
              Bonaparte's Gull 2
              Herring Gull 1
              Belted Kingfisher 1
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                Mon, 05 Sep 2011 -- This afternoon there were two FORSTER'S TERNS flying
                around Lake Mendocino and diving into the waters. They circulated around
                the north half of the lake and could probably be seen from any good vantage
                point. I saw them from the Mesa Day-Use Area. Not much else was present due
                to the high degree of boat activity.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2011
                  Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
                  Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
                  were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
                  Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
                  the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
                  Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
                  On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
                  RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 17 6:59 PM
                    Mon, 11 Aug 2014 -- At the north end of Lake Mendocino more mudflats are
                    opening up as the lake level drops. This morning there was a flock of about
                    130 shorebirds - mostly Western Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers and two
                    WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA