"AL" correction

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2007
      4 December 2007 - I am sorry to say that my earlier report of "AL"s,
      the Laysan Albatross frequenting Pt. Arena, appears to be based upon
      fiction. My contact at Point Arena got his information about the
      arrival from two other locals ...one of which may have had some local
      political affiliation. My contact genuinely believed the story as
      true and reported it to me. I, of course, let the world know about
      the supposed arrival ....it seemed genuine and timely.

      To my dismay I later received a message from my same contact person
      and he told me that he could not verify the story in talking to the
      local Harbormaster and other Pt. Arena Cove locals ....and he had not
      seen the bird either. I contacted another Pt. Arena birder and she
      checked out the Cove five times and also spoke with the Harbormaster
      and locals ...again no one can verify the arrival story.

      Please accept my apologies for the apparent false report ....I know
      that there is lots of nationwide interest in this bird. Let's hope
      that the bird does, in fact, return for the fifteenth winter (this
      assumes that the bird spent the 93/94 winter when T.Easterla and J.
      Booker first discovered the bird on 28 (not 27) Feb 1994.)

      I sincerely hope that I did not cause anyone to waste time or money
      searching for AL. Good birding. Bob Keiffer (with egg on my face)

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road