Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 -- This morning I birded Lake Mendocino and found a few
      interesting species: There was a MEW GULL at the south boat ramp area,two
      HERRING GULLS in the north end of the lake, a SNOW GOOSE and a CACKLING
      GOOSE on the shore at Pomo B, an adult BALD EAGLE at the Mesa, a pair of
      CANVASBACKS at the Mesa, and a COMMON LOON at Perry Creek Cove. Later in
      the day there was an Aleutian-like CACKLING GOOSE among the 75 honkers at
      the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2007
        Fri, 07 Dec 2007 -- This morning at Lake Mendocino there were a few birds
        of CBC interest:
        BONAPARTE'S GULL, 1, southmost end of the Lake, Area 3.
        CACKLING GEESE, 26, south of the South Boat Ramp. Flew to the north shore
        near Oak Grove Parking Lot, Area 2
        ROSS'S GOOSE, 1, with the Cacklers., Area 2
        ROCK WREN, 1, Coyote Dam between markers 004 and 005, Area 2
        SNOWY EGRET, 1, Pomo A, Area 2.
        HERRING GULL, 1 adult, Pomo A, Area 2.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
          Wed, 09 Jul 2008 -- I did a survey of the Lake Mendocino on Wednesday.
          There was little of note except a few returning migrants: an adult
          RING-BILLED GULL and two adult CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south marina, and two
          adult LEAST SANDPIPERS at Pomo A.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
            Fri, 27 Feb 2009 -- I got out to the lake between rains today. The water
            level has gone up to an elevation of 721.2' from a low of 711.4' on the
            10th, but the water is turbid and there is a fair amount of floating debris.
            Bird numbers are down except for widgeon, scaup, and gulls. TREE SWALLOWS
            were cruising about everywhere, and I saw one VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW.
            There was a group of gulls on the mud near the south ramp with birds
            streaming to and from Ukiah. Among the California and Ring-billed Gulls was
            a first winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL and a 1st winter bird which I take to be
            a THAYER'S GULL but on the very pale side. [ smaller than Glaucous-winged,
            larger than California, bill relatively small, bill all black, wing coverts
            neatly speckled, secondaries slightly darker than coverts in flight,
            primaries cafe au lait and finely edged with light color.] Others may want
            to take a look at this bird.
            Last night Comet Lulin was visible with binoculars in Leo. Tonight, if
            it stays clear, it should be visible very close to Regulus, the brightest
            star in Leo.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            Western Grebe 3
            Clark's Grebe 1
            Western/Clark's Grebe 132
            Canada Goose 88
            Cackling Goose 9
            Mallard 138
            Northern Shoveler 1
            American Wigeon 91
            Greater Scaup 5
            scaup sp 259 most apparently Greater
            Bufflehead 3
            Common Merganser 2
            Ruddy Duck 6
            Bald Eagle 1 adult
            American Coot 200
            Killdeer 1
            Ring-billed Gull 33
            California Gull 107
            Thayer's Gull? 1 pale 1st winter
            Herring Gull 1 adult
            Glaucous-winged Gull 1 1st winter
          • Bob Keiffer
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 19, 2009
              18 April 2009 - Saturday - With the weather warming there was lots of human activity on the lake ...skiers, kayakers, fishermen, etc. by late morning. However, I was able to spot a mature and immature BALD EAGLE on the east side, along with a single BONAPARTE'S GULL. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
                Thu, 28 Jul 2011 -- This morning I covered Lake Mendocino and peered into
                every corner - at least telescopically. The water level is up to the inlet
                road and the Oak Grove parking lot, but thankfully the lake is not
                overfilled like last summer. I found no shorebird habitat anywhere, but
                there might be some deep in Hunter's Cove or Perry Cove. Canada Geese and
                Western/Clark's Grebes predominate. Of summer interest were two BONAPARTE'S
                GULLS in the south half and one HERRING GULL in the north half.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                Western Grebe 15
                Clark's Grebe 12
                Aechmophorus sp. 61
                Great Egret 1
                Canada Goose 195
                Mallard 24
                Common Merganser 6
                Osprey 2
                Bonaparte's Gull 2
                Herring Gull 1
                Belted Kingfisher 1
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5 5:50 PM
                  Mon, 05 Sep 2011 -- This afternoon there were two FORSTER'S TERNS flying
                  around Lake Mendocino and diving into the waters. They circulated around
                  the north half of the lake and could probably be seen from any good vantage
                  point. I saw them from the Mesa Day-Use Area. Not much else was present due
                  to the high degree of boat activity.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 11, 2011
                    Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
                    Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
                    were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
                    Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
                    the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
                    Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
                    On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
                    RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                  • George Chaniot
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 17, 2014
                      Mon, 11 Aug 2014 -- At the north end of Lake Mendocino more mudflats are
                      opening up as the lake level drops. This morning there was a flock of about
                      130 shorebirds - mostly Western Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers and two
                      WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

                      George Chaniot
                      Potter Valley, MEN, CA