"AL" - Laysan Albatross

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007
      28 Nov 2007 - Here is an updated list of arrival and departure dates
      for "AL" the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove
      for the last 15 yrs (not 14 as I stated yesterday). It is unknown
      if the bird used the cove prior to 1994. "AL" arrived last Monday
      late afternoon/evening.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Here is a revised list of first reported arrival dates and last reported
      >season's dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:
      > ???? to? 27 Feb 1994 (T.Easterla & J.Booker)
      >30 Nov 1994 to 27 March 1995 (report of two birds in synchronized
      >courtship flight during this period)
      >5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
      >3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
      >27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
      >12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
      >4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on 2 April
      >2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
      >26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
      >28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
      >21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
      >25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
      >28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005
      26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006
      25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007
      26 Nov 2007 to "time will tell"

      Good birding! Bob Keiffer Please let me know of any further additions
      or corrections.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      arena." Theodore Roosevelt

    • Jim Armstrong
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007
        I think Al's apparent sore leg must come from wearing a big calendar
        watch to insure his "on-time" arrival. He probably got it after
        being late in '98 and '99.

        --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J. Keiffer"
        <rjkeiffer@...> wrote:

        > 28 Nov 2007 - Here is an updated list of arrival and departure
        dates
        > for "AL" the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove
        > for the last 15 yrs (not 14 as I stated yesterday). It is
        unknown
        > if the bird used the cove prior to 1994. "AL" arrived last Monday
        > late afternoon/evening.
        >
        > Good birding. Bob Keiffer
        >

        > Here is a revised list of first reported arrival dates and last
        reported
        > >season's dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:
        > > ???? to? 27 Feb 1994 (T.Easterla &
        J.Booker)
        > >30 Nov 1994 to 27 March 1995 (report of two birds in
        synchronized
        > >courtship flight during this period)
        > >5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
        > >3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
        > >27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
        > >12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
        > >4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on
        2 April
        > >2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
        > >26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
        > >28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
        > >21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
        > >25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
        > >28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005
        > 26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006
        > 25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007
        > 26 Nov 2007 to "time will tell"
        >
        > Good birding! Bob Keiffer Please let me know of any further
        additions
        > or corrections.
        >

        > Robert J. Keiffer
        > Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        > UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        > 4070 University Road
        > Hopland, CA 95449
        > (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
        > HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
        >
        > "It is not the critic who counts... not the one who points out how
        > the strong person stumbles... or where the doer of deeds could
        have
        > done better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in
        the
        > arena." Theodore Roosevelt

      • Todd Easterla
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007
          Al has become quite famous now and I'm glad to see his return year after year. I wonder how long he was coming before Jim and I first spotted him, if he was at all? I've heard the surfers actually pet him on the head?

          Historically, I wonder what is the longest returning bird on record is?

          Todd Easterla

          28 Nov 2007 - Here is an updated list of arrival and departure dates
          for "AL" the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove
          for the last 15 yrs (not 14 as I stated yesterday). It is unknown
          if the bird used the cove prior to 1994. "AL" arrived last Monday
          late afternoon/evening.

          Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Here is a revised list of first reported arrival dates and last reported
          >season's dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:
          > ???? to? 27 Feb 1994 (T.Easterla & J.Booker)
          >30 Nov 1994 to 27 March 1995 (report of two birds in synchronized
          >courtship flight during this period)
          >5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
          >3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
          >27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
          >12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
          >4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on 2 April
          >2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
          >26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
          >28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
          >21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
          >25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
          >28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005
          26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006
          25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007
          26 Nov 2007 to "time will tell"

          Good birding! Bob Keiffer Please let me know of any further additions
          or corrections.

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          arena." Theodore Roosevelt

        • asekoonce
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007
            Last winter, my wife and I were at Point Arena enjoying Big Al. We
            ended up speaking with one of the surfers, who told us that the bird
            was very friendly and would approach the surfers as they paddled by.
            Naturally, we were a bit incredulous. So he paddled on out, heading
            in a line that would take him by Big Al, but still about 20 yards or
            so away. Big Al looked over and saw the surfer, and swam right over,
            emitting several bizarre-sounding squawks as s/he did. The surfer
            then stroked Big Al's bill for a minute or two before continuing out
            to the waves. Amazing!

            Sandy

            Sandy Koonce
            Department of Mathematics
            University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
            sandy_koonce@...

            --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Easterla" <tje6969@...> wrote:

            > Al has become quite famous now and I'm glad to see his return year
            after year. I wonder how long he was coming before Jim and I first
            spotted him, if he was at all? I've heard the surfers actually pet him
            on the head?

            > Historically, I wonder what is the longest returning bird on record is?
            >

            > Todd Easterla
          • sequoia49
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2007
              Too trustung of people is probaly what got him in trouble last year---