Harris's Sparrow

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 26, 2001
      Monday, December 24, A winter plumage Harris's Sparrow was identified by
      Cheryl Heinecken at their feeder at Fern Canyon Drive/Fern Canyon Way south
      of Talmage. Geoff says the bird has been there for several days but was
      unsure of its identity until Cheryl saw it. This bird may hang around for
      awhile. Geoff & Cheryl's phone number is 462-4289.
      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2007
        9 December 2007 - Marybeth Arago reports that she has a Harris's
        Sparrow has shown up at their feeder yesterday the 8th in Fort
        Bragg, It was confirmed as such on Sunday (DT)...and is a probably
        different bird from the Ocean Meadows Circle - Ten Mile Harris's
        Sparrow which was still there on the 7th. If interested in seeing
        this bird you can call Marybeth at 962-0724 anytime after 8:15am.

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        arena." Theodore Roosevelt

      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
          1 December 2011 - Thursday - Karen Havlena reports that an immature Harris's Sparrow showed up this morning at their yard at Oceanside (just north of Ten Mile River). She and Jim saw it briefly though their window ... but they have some construction wok going on right now and the yard/house is in a bit a disarray and have not been able to relocate it yet. They have a local flock of crowned-sparrows that they feed regularly, and they are hoping that the Harris's Sparrow settles in with the flock and stays for a while. If they refind the bird they will post it. If you have a huge desire to search for this bird you should call Karen at 707-972-5440 (cell). Posted for Karen by Bob Keiffer. Good birding.

        • Sandberg, Stephen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2014
            A juvenile Harris's Sparrow visited my feeder in residential Fort Bragg today, January 9th.  If you are interested in the photos I took, please let me know.

            Regards,

            Steve Sandberg
            Fort Bragg, CA
          • todd.lancer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 15, 2014
              Wed, 15 January 2014 The immature HARRIS'S SPARROW was observed again this afternoon at my feeder in residential Fort Bragg.

              /Steve Sandberg
            • Robert Keiffer
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
                12 February 2014 - Wednesday - Today, Scott Harris from Willits found a Harris's Sparrow that is searchable by others. It is in an area where the city of Willits has cleared a bunch of blackberries and they are still in piles ...and some blackberries are still left. The location is on the edge of Broadus (spelling?) Creek, and is just about 400 feet south of the Skunk Railroad Depot. I cannot post the photos here, but one of Scott's photos shows an aqua-blue house in the background, with the bird perched atop a limby brush pile.... This may be a good reference for searching for it. Posted for Scott Harris by Bob keiffer, Hopland rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

                [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
                Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
                4070 University Rd.
                Hopland, CA 95449
                707-744-1424 ext. 112
                Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 13, 2014
                  I birded the area mentioned above today from 4pm to 4:35 pm and right as I was about to leave at 4:35 pm the Harris's Sparrow jumped up in the open. I was able to get a couple pics at the link below. Thanks Scott and Bob for the post.

                • stevestump
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 13, 2014
                    Sorry I forgot name and time. Steve Stump @ 5:15 pm
                  • George Chaniot
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
                      Fri, 14 Feb 2014 -- After failing to find the HARRIS'S SPARROW yesterday, I
                      went back today a little later (10:10-11:05) to look again. Jack Booth was
                      there ahead of me. We saw the bird sitting high in the back brush pile
                      about 10:25. After a bit, it retired deep into the center of the pile. At
                      10:40 I saw it again briefly as it returned from the far side of the creek
                      and went deep into the same pile again.
                      The location in Willits is easy to find along the tracks between
                      Commercial Street and E. Valley Street. About 400 feet S. of the Skunk
                      Train Depot are some piles of cut brush between the tracks and Broaddus
                      Creek in roughly three heaps. Both of my sightings this morning were in the
                      heap furthest from the tracks. The bird likes the deep center of the pile.

                      George Chaniot
                      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                    • stevestump
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
                        2-14-14 1338
                         I submitted "Stakeout Harris's Sparrow" as a hotspot for those interested in entering the bird on eBird. Thanks Steve Stump