end of Fall Report Period - Nov 30th

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2007
      19 Nov 2007 - The fall report period for bird observations is
      rapidly approaching.
      The fall period is always the longest - four months - comprising Aug,
      Sept, Oct, & Nov.
      August is included in the fall period mainly because that is when
      many of the shore birds
      migrate south after breeding.... so we might really think about this
      period as being the
      post-breeding & fall migration period. I will soon be summarizing the
      significant Mendocino
      County bird observations for these months and then submitting them to
      the Northern California
      sub-regional editors for North American Birds. If you wish to
      submit any previously UNREPORTED
      sightings then send them directly to rjkeiffer@... before Dec
      10th. If the sighting was
      already posted on Mendobirds then I have it already.

      For those on the coast please keep an eye out for the probable
      arrival of "Al" the Laysan
      Albatross that winters on our coast and utilizes Pt. Arena Cove as
      his/her resting area...
      it usually shows up near the end of November. Also ... a good count
      on the Tundra Swans
      that winter on the Garcia River Flats. Also, a check for Rock
      Sandpipers in the Mackerricher State
      Park area would be good...high tide loafing on the rocks at Laguna
      Point is a good place to look.

      Reminder to all ...Ukiah Christmas Bird count is coming up on
      Saturday, Dec 15th ...spread the word
      and volunteer to help ....it is a great learning and fun
      opportunity. email me if interested.

      Thanks and good birding. Bob Keiffer.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture