Ferruginous Hawks at Irish Beach

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2007
      Saturday November 10, 2007.
      The Mendocino Coast Audubon chapter led a field trip to view wintering hawks along the coast from the Navarro River to Point Arena this morning. Despite the periods of light rain, we saw five Ferruginous Hawks in the fields along Highway 1 immediately north and south of the Irish Beach subdivision.
      However, the highlight of the day came as we birded from the pier in Arena Cove. We watched as a Peregrine Falcon swept down from the cliff bordering the cove and struck an unsuspecting female Bufflehead on the back of the neck as she floated near the surf line. The falcon then wheeled past us, circled back, snatched the motionless duck off the ocean surface, and flew past us again, this time to a cliffside perch where it fed on the hapless hen.