Pigeon Guillemot

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hi all,

      Today off of Little River Headlands there was a single basic (winter)
      plumaged Pigeon Guillemot. Most of these go north for the winter and I
      rarely see them after September.

      Ron

    • Rick Harris
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2011
        Saw my first Pigeon Guillemot of the year off the Mendocino Headlands. Actually I should say "identified" my first PG of the year. I first saw this single bird about 2 weeks ago but was unable to positively identify it even after repeated sighings. Always far, far out at about 500+ yards and since I don't own a scope, tantalizingly hard to make a for sure call with 8X binoculars. No matter how hard I squinted my eyes and steadied my hand it was always an "almost sure". Not a rare bird for sure, but nice to see and finally confirm.

        Also: The dark morph Peregrine Falcon (aka Gull Killer) is still hanging tough on the far Bird Rock off Heeser Drive. The Western Gulls are starting to stake out territory and court. Will it stay for the season?

        Rick Harris