One that got away

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi all,

      Yesterday around 1:45 a.m. when I was driving into Fort Bragg (for an 11:00
      a.m. meeting), I noticed a pair of Ravens harassing a slightly smaller hawk
      as the three birds flew north to south across the Noyo Harbor. Charlene and
      I got only a quick, but good, look at the hawk, but it was smaller than the
      ravens, shaped like a Red-tailed Hawk, and was notably white below with dark
      black wing tips. Both the under side of the body and the under wings were
      almost immaculate white. The only thing that keeps me from calling this a
      light juvenile Broad-winged Hawk was that the tail was finely barred all the
      way to the tip of the feathers (I did not notice a larger subterminal band).
      Given the look that I had, and the fact that I was driving, I would not want
      to call this bird for sure, but I encourage anyone birding around the Noyo
      Harbor Bridge to keep a eye out. Most Broad-winged Hawks that are in
      California are migrating, but given that this is getting late in the season,
      occasionally one hangs around for a few days.

      Good luck, Ron

      Ron LeValley Photography

      Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery

      301 North Main Street

      Fort Bragg California USA 95437

      Cell: 707/496-3326

      Gallery: 707/964-4706

      www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>

      Ron@...

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
      http://levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
        Oops, please correct the time to 11:45 a.m. I don't look for hawks in the
        middle of the night!

        _____

[...]

        www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalley <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>
        photo.com/>

        Ron@LeValleyPhoto. <mailto:Ron%40LeValleyPhoto.com> com

        For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
        http://levalleyphot <http://levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
        o.com/gallery/omw.php