Laguna Point (MacKerricher Park) Sightings

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2007
      Sunday, November 4, 2007.
      I was able to see the following today between 10 and 11 a.m. from the Laguna Point lookout:
      All three loons, but mostly many flocks of Common Loon heading south.
      All three Scoters.
      6 Sooty Shearwaters
      1 Parasitic Jaeger
      1 Black-legged Kittiwake
      1 male Long-tailed Duck (resting on the water just outside the surf zone)
      Many Common Murres (having seen none during the month of October)
      About 20 Rhinoceros Auklets
      About 10 Cassin's Auklets
      And finally, a mystery gull that soared low over the waves, ALL WHITE - with no black markings on the wings (and if there was significant grey it did not show in the bright light that reflected from the flying bird), probably smaller than a Heerman's, with tight pointed wings and a square to slightly rounded (not forked) tail. These markings were confirmed by another person who was watching through my Leicas while I trailed it with a Swarovski scope. Probably just another albino . . .
      All in all, it was a good morning and I hated to leave.

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hi all,

        Yesterday around 1:45 a.m. when I was driving into Fort Bragg (for an 11:00
        a.m. meeting), I noticed a pair of Ravens harassing a slightly smaller hawk
        as the three birds flew north to south across the Noyo Harbor. Charlene and
        I got only a quick, but good, look at the hawk, but it was smaller than the
        ravens, shaped like a Red-tailed Hawk, and was notably white below with dark
        black wing tips. Both the under side of the body and the under wings were
        almost immaculate white. The only thing that keeps me from calling this a
        light juvenile Broad-winged Hawk was that the tail was finely barred all the
        way to the tip of the feathers (I did not notice a larger subterminal band).
        Given the look that I had, and the fact that I was driving, I would not want
        to call this bird for sure, but I encourage anyone birding around the Noyo
        Harbor Bridge to keep a eye out. Most Broad-winged Hawks that are in
        California are migrating, but given that this is getting late in the season,
        occasionally one hangs around for a few days.

        Good luck, Ron

        Ron LeValley Photography

        Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery

        301 North Main Street

        Fort Bragg California USA 95437

        Cell: 707/496-3326

        Gallery: 707/964-4706

        www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>

        Ron@...

        For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
        http://levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

      • Ron LeValley
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
          Oops, please correct the time to 11:45 a.m. I don't look for hawks in the
          middle of the night!

          _____

[...]

          www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalley <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>
          photo.com/>

          Ron@LeValleyPhoto. <mailto:Ron%40LeValleyPhoto.com> com

          For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
          http://levalleyphot <http://levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
          o.com/gallery/omw.php