USTP American Bittern and Horned Larks

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2007
      Sunday 28 October 2007

      This morning George Chaniot, Geoff Heinecken, and I refound the
      AMERICAN BITTERN reported by Chuck Vaughn last Friday at the Ukiah
      Sewage Treatment Plant. The bird was hunting along the south edge of
      the south pond, keeping a respectable distance as we walked east until
      it was nearly "cornered". It then flew across the pond, stayed there
      awhile, then flew back in behind us to resume feeding.

      On the dry north pond, a flock of seven HORNED LARKS fluttered in to
      peck around in the dirt and were joined by eight or so AMERICAN
      PIPITS. The flock was moving between the north pond and the
      corporation yard over the north fence.

      Other highlights were a late male WESTERN TANAGER and four WHITE-TAILED
      KITES.

      Cheryl Watson
      Ukiah, CA