Rose-Breasted Grosbeak and other birds, Albion

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      A first-winter male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak was picking seeds out of
      sunflower heads in my garden a few minutes ago. We had an adult male at
      the window feeder once last year, and I heard them singing in the
      redwoods this spring. How often are these birds seen on the coast?

      Earlier today, in the same garden, a juvenile Cooper's Hawk made a
      dramatic appearance, perched on the frame over the strawberry bed.
      Somehow it managed not to collide with any of the two dozen or so
      Mourning Doves infesting the front yard. Too bad; better luck next time!

      Two nights ago we had a very small owl flittering about, but I was
      unable to see it clearly enough to get an ID. It seemed smaller than a
      Screech to me. What's the next most likely small owl?

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Middle Ridge, Albion