Townsend's Solitaire

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2001
      On Sat Dec 8, I drove up into the mountains north of Lake Pillsbury to
      see what birds were about and how high I could get the Accord before the
      snow stopped me. Started off by driving up Panther Ridge along Hull
      Creek. I had one TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE in Lake County at 3,750'. I was
      able to drive on up to 3,850' before the snow stopped me. Since I was
      very close to the Mendo county line I decided to walk up the road. At
      4,030' in Mendo county I had a second TOSO. I continued to walk further
      up the road but the snow began to get quite deep and after about a
      quarter mile I suddenly realized I had been following bear tracks in the
      snow. After discovering bear scat in the middle of the road (yes, bears
      do poop in the woods) I needed no further encouragement to turn around
      and head back to the car.

      On my way out I decided to try Boardman Ridge. I got a little higher
      here due to the south facing slope but still had to turn around at
      4,200'. If you're interested, with 4WD one can easily get higher.

      - mm