Horned Lark

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
      Friday, 10:30 AM, one and maybe two Horned Lark(s) flushed from a dirt road
      at the 3000' level at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. This
      species is very rare in inland Mendocino County.
      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
        21 April 2005, 3:40 PM, one female Horned Lark was seen foraging along one
        of the upper bare dirt roads of UC-HREC this afternoon. It seemed intent
        on feeding upon seeds along the roadside and returned to the road behind me
        as I drove past. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 21, 2009
          Wednesday - 21 October 2009 - An adult female Horned Lark has been a "road
          bird" for the last two days at the UC-Hopland Research & Extension Center.
          I got a glimpse of the bird yesterday as it flew off but was unable to
          identify it to species then .however from vocalizations I knew it was
          "pipit-like". This morning it was (assumed same bird) back at the exact
          same spot and I was able to get a good binoc-look at it. Horned Larks are
          rather rare in the interior of the county with best chances at the Ukiah
          Sewage Treatment Plant. Even on the coast, fall migration produces singles
          or small flocks which usually do not stick around for long and luck has to
          be on your side to see the species. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer.

        • stevestump
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2013

            11/9/13 1530

            This afternoon at 3:10 pm there were 3 Horned Lark at the Ukiah WWTP. They are in the slow filling North Pond. Steve Stump

            Photo

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/10767392193/