USTP 10/26: Am Bittern, Horned Lark

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      Greetings Mendobirders: I made my obligatory Friday morning visit to the
      USTP today, and the wet, gloomy weather proved lucky for me. I saw an
      AMERICAN BITTERN in the tall "Smart Weed" on the south edge of the south
      pond. The bird flushed as I approached and hopped over the south fence
      into the drainage ditch adjacent to the pear orchard there. It may well
      still be in the area. On the dry and recently-plowed north pond I saw a
      beautiful reddish, male HORNED LARK. This bird, unfortunately, flew SE
      over the river and disappeared. Other birds of local interest included 22
      CACKLING GEESE (no collars, dark brown-purple upper breast), a single
      DUNLIN, and 3 BONAPARTE'S GULLS.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482