Snow Bunting

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2007
      Saturday - 20 October 2007 - Dave and Sarah (last names unknown), a couple of new birders on the Mendocino Coast, found a winter male Snow Bunting at MacKerricher State Park this morning. "Toby" Tobkin confirmed the sighting at 12:15 pm today... and the bird was at the same place as described to her. From the "south" parking lot at Mackerricher ...this is the one just a short ways north of Pudding Creek, one takes the "southern" path that leads towards the "tip of land" ...the bird was at the far end of the main walk trail. Reported for Toby Tobkin by Bob Keiffer. This is a CBRC "Review" species ....so please take descriptive notes, sketches, photos if possible. Good birding.

    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2007
        The Snow Bunting was still in the same location as described at 3:00PM
        this afternoon. Pictures to be posted shortly.

        Richard Hubacek
      • stevestump
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2015

          11/25/15  1:33 pm

          Chuck and I were on the Virgin Creek bridge when the bird flew onto the ground about 15 feet from us. Unfortunately, this was one of the only times I did not have my camera with me. I ran back to the car to get my camera when some dog walkers scared the bird off to the bluffs. Fortunately Chuck Vaughn found the bird again on the beach by the bluffs about 100 yards South of the mouth of Virgin Creek. Photo's were obtained and I have uploaded them on flickr. This is a link to one of seven photo's, great day.

          https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/22685075653/in/photostream/

          Steve Stump

        • jessica
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2015
            Snow Bunting continues

            Seen at 1 p.m. Friday, actively foraging on bank of cove south of creek as described by Karen this morning. Flew south to next cove after several minutes.