Ukiah area birds 10/5

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2007
      Greetings Mendobirders- I visited the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this
      morning and saw 3 CACKLING GEESE on the south pond. None of them had
      white-collars so I assume they were probably not "Aleutians". Despite the
      large expanse of muddy puddles on the draining middle pond, the only
      shorebirds besides some LEASTS were 2 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS. Two PEREGRINE
      FALCONS , an adult and an immature, made several noisy and half-hearted
      strafes over the ducks on the south pond. A much more stealthy MERLIN was
      also working the area. There were several hundred swallows out there, but
      all I could find were VIOLET-GREENS. This afternoon I have had a late
      WESTERN TANAGER eating what remains of my zinfandel grapes at home. On
      10/3 a "V" of about 110 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew over the HREC
      office area headed SSE. They were definitely not going to Clear Lake.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...