Northern Mendo coast 10-1-07

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      Birders,

      Gjon Hazard and I birded northern Mendocino County on 10-1-07.

      We started the day at Usal Campground/mouth of Usal Creek. We had more
      migrant landbirds here than anywhere else today; the other coastal patches
      we checked were had very few birds. The highlight for me was the Swamp
      Sparrow out in the low veg near the mouth. There were also 3 Willow
      Flycatchers about. We had a few warblers (including a MacGillvray's
      Warbler), vireos, and Pacific-slope Flycatchers.

      Later in the morning, about 200 feet up Usal Road from Highway 1, there was
      a termite hatch going on that was being attended by a flock of warblers
      (Yellow, Townsend's, Black-throated Grey, Wilson's), Warbling Vireos,
      kinglets, etc. The highlight was a Chestnut-sided Warbler. The scene
      reminded us of something you'd see in the tropics with antbirds and army
      ants, and was really fun to watch up close since the birds ignored us in
      their feeding frenzy.

      Also, there was a single Pectoral Sandpiper at the mouth of Virgin Creek.

      BTW-we birded Del Norte County on 10-2-07 with Alan Barron, and there were
      exceedingly few landbird migrants there too. We had only one Yellow
      Warbler (at Klamath River Boat Ramp) in a full day of birding the chickadee
      flocks! We did have a total of 5 Western Tanagers at Endert's Beach Road
      and Elk Creek Park.

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata, CA