Ruff and Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Virgin Creek

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      On Saturday the 29th I stumbled across a juvenile
      female RUFF at Virgin Creek. It was well observed and
      photographed by a group of birders during the Albion
      Birding Weekend. We followed it from 9:00-10:00 am as
      it moved from the mouth of the creek southward along
      the rocks, where it foraged with Black Turnstones and
      Surfbirds in the surf. I just uploaded two photographs
      at:

      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/ruff

      We searched for it unsuccessfully on Sunday afternoon,
      but met a couple of birders who mentioned that one had
      been seen over the weekend at Pudding Creek. If so,
      I'd be interested in knowing the details (none posted
      on Mendobirds).

      On Friday the 28th a juvenile BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER
      was seen just north of the mouth of Virgin Creek by
      Stan Snyder and several other birders. Stan, a very
      experienced birder familiar with both Ruff and
      Buff-breasted Sandpiper, also saw the Ruff on Saturday
      and says it was a totally different bird than the
      Buff-breasted Sandpiper they saw on Friday.

      Other shorebirds seen at Virgin Creek during the
      weekend included a juvenile PECTORAL SANDPIPER and a
      juvenile LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
        Floyd Hayes wrote:
        > during the Albion
        > Birding Weekend.

        The WHAT? I hadn't heard of that... How does one hear of such things in
        advance?

        Tim in Albion