Yellow Parrot

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      For the second time in two weeks, I have a small, uniformly bright
      yellow parrot (or large yellow parakeet) in my yard in SE Potter
      Valley. It was here briefly on George and Chuck's Big Day, but
      refused to be seen when they came by.
      While I assume it is an escapee from a home or collection, it is far
      from tame, flushing from my seed feeder area with wild-bird speed when
      I go out.
      I haven't noticed any call or song.
      Any one know where it might belong?
    • Jim Armstrong
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2007
        I got a much better view of this bird yesterday. It is a parakeet
        with a bright green, almost chartreuse, back, yellow tipped tail and
        yellow wings with black speckles and black spots on its face and neck.
        Its cere is brownish, so perhaps it is a female.
        I can't see any leg bands, but apparently the practice is much less
        common than it used to be.
        Several reponses I got predicted a very short life expectancy, but it
        is a month or more since first sighting.