Waxwings in Ukiah/Chickadees

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2007
      There was a flock of Cedar Waxwings in downtown Ukiah Thursday (9/20).
      I got a good look at them and could clearly see the yellow wax on the
      tail tips of some of the birds. I think I hear them again today (Friday
      morning), but I couldn't see them clearly enough for a positive ID.

      Also, I've realized it's been quite a while since I've seen Chestnut-
      backed Chickadees at my feeders. I really miss them, and it's starting
      to creep me out. They used to be year-round visitors, and we still get
      titmice, nuthatches, goldfinches, etc. all year along with bigger birds
      (Acorn woodpeckers, Steller's Jay's, Towhees, Ravens). Have they all
      been up in the mountains for the summer or is something more sinister
      going on?
      Maureen