Humble Coast Sightings

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2007
      Thursday, September 13, 2007.
      I had two relatively minor sightings today that are worth noting. A Common Tern was feeding in the Navarro River just west of the Highway 1 bridge.
      A pair of Merlin put on a wonderful show the hour before sunset above the Noyo Rive beach. A male and a female (the color and size differences easily noted) chased each other, with each alternatively taking the role of aggressor. They also literally flew circles around a few pitiful Ravens that got in their way. Red-necked Phalarope continue to be plentiful along the coast and in the lower reaches of rivers.

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2007
        Yesterday about noon we saw a small Alcid in the cove off the end of
        Main Street in Mendocino, not far from the near end of the sea cave. It
        appeared to be a Marbled Murrelet in transitional plumage. Wish I'd had
        the camera, it was quite close in and might have made a decent photo.

        Also watched a Peregrine Falcon standing on top of the westernmost
        island off the northwest tip of the Headlands. It made a couple of
        short flights but returned empty-taloned.

        Cheers,
        Tim in Albion