Red-shouldered & eagle

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2007
      September 11, 2007 - This is just for curiosity's sake ...yesterday,
      here at UC-Hopland REC I observed a mature Golden Eagle swooped down
      in front of my vehicle and nab a mature Red-shouldered Hawk as it
      left it's perch on a large oak limb. Both birds continued to the
      ground with the Red-shouldered screaming. The eagle left, maybe due
      to the presence of the vehicle, and the hawk lowered itself into the
      grass. I thought that the hawk was probably dying but upon
      inspection it seemed rather alert & perky. I left it in an open box
      hoping that it might recover and fly away ...but it perished. It is
      now destined to be a museum study-skin specimen here at HREC. Good
      birding - Bob Keiffer.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center