Alex has died

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2007
      Sunday, September 9, 2007.
      I know the following is technically off-topic for this listserv, but I just read on Laura Erickson's blog http://lauraerickson.blogspot.com/ that Alex the Parrot has died. Those of you who are familiar with this amazing bird will probably agree that the world seems a bit emptier tonight.

      Occasionally there are people or events, or in this case a parrot, that are so memorable or have such an impact that they change the way in which we view the world and our place in it. Alex the Parrot was one of those giants. I was raised on a dairy farm and learned at an early age that all animals are rightly subject to Man, who is unique among all creatures by merit of our superior intellect. And I am quite comfortable living in a world surrounded by "dumb animals."

      Unfortunately, the work of folks like Irene Pepperberg and the demonstrations of true intelligence and compassion by animals like Alex have turned my comfortable world on its head from time to time. And I guess that's good. I prefer to understand as much as I can about the world that surrounds me, and about my place in it, even if it means being put in my place by a talking parrot.