293 -- Short-eared Owl

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2007
      This evening at about 7:30 - 7:35 PM, I saw Jerry's Short-eared Owl
      at milepost 72.32 on Hwy 1. This is the old townsite of Newport. I
      thought I was a little early arriving at 7:20, but a high marine layer
      began to come in. I parked at the gate at milepost 72.21. Many
      times I've thought that this is a great spot for Short-eared Owl.
      The sun was obscured by the partial marine layer, so the lighting
      was just right. Just about 7:35, I saw the owl fly low from the slope
      on the east side of the highway. It flew across the road, rose higher,
      then swooped straight down into the high grass in the field. It landed
      close to the road. I walked up to mm 72.32. Shortly, it flew north,
      staying low and went over the small rise. The terrain slopes down
      again.
      I walked back to the car. Another car stopped on the road between
      the two mileposts. I started to go up to talk to them, but they moved
      forward, stopping and driving until they went over the rise. Their
      timing would have been good, if the marine layer had not come in.
      Hopefully, they will try again.

      I really like watching Short-eared Owls hunt. Either Jim or myself
      were always assigned to get one for the Morro Bay CBC. We were
      successful all but once or twice.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Ten Mile River