Usal and beyond

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2007
      The best birds of the day were not at Usal but on the trip out there this morning. I watched a Short-eared Owl hunting (it was successful) for about 5 minutes starting at 6:35 AM on Highway 1. This was in the grasslands near milemarkers 72.21and 72.32. Then on the Usal Road about a mile from Hwy 1 there was an adult male Northern Goshawk.
      At Usal after about 2 1/2 hours of birding I was able to find a first fall Chestnut-sided Warbler. This bird was with a mixed flock about 2/10ths of a mile up the dry creek bed from the bridge. Earlier I observed another successful owl hunt as a Northern Pygmy-Owl grabbed an unidentified prey item. There were moderate numbers of western migrants; Willow Flycatchers, 1 Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Western Tanagers, Lincoln Sparrows, Western Wood-Pewee's, 2 Black-headed Grosbeaks Warbling Vireos, & Wilson's, Yellow, Black-throated Gray, Common Yellowthroats, and Townsends warblers. Jerry W.