MacKerricher birds 9/2

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007
      Greetings Mendobirders- Matthew Matthiessen and I made a quick trip to
      Fort Bragg this morning to do some birding at MacKerricher with Karen
      Havlena. We tried for the BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER that Karen had seen
      north of Ward Avenue yesterday. We dipped on that Sandpiper, but did see a
      first-year COMMON TERN resting on the beach. We moved south to Virgin
      Creek Beach to see if the BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER seen there yesterday by
      Matthew might still be around. It was. We found it on the long open
      stretch of beach just north of what is presently Virgin Creek estuary. On
      the estuary there was a single WILSON'S PHALAROPE. Matthew saw 3 there
      yesterday. There were also 3 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES on the estuary
      providing some nice comparisons of the two. We tried Lake Cleone boardwalk
      for some passerines, but things were very quiet there. We stopped for some
      ice cream at Cowlick's on our way home (Mocha Fudge and Root Beer Sundae)
      where we found a resplendent DAVID JENSEN.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...