Mendocino Co.

  • Kathryn Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
      Thur. Aug 29th, to beat the heat, I tried to turn Mendocino Co. blue.
      Best birds of the day were the continuing BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER north
      of the Ward Ave. parking lot at McKerritcher SP., 2 RED-NECKED GREBEs
      with quite a bit of color still visible just off the beach at the Ward
      Ave. parking lot, and the rocky shore shorebirds that I saw at Laguna
      Point with John Luther after we hooked up at Lake Cleone - BLACK
      TURNSTONES, 1 SURFBIRD, 2 WANDERING TATTLERS, 1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER, 9
      WHIMBRELs, 1 WILLET, and a bunch of very vocal BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS.

      The Ukiah WTP did not have much in the way of shorebirds, with only
      some Leasts and Westerns, 2 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS and
      2 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS to keep the KILLDEER company. There was a good
      variety of ducks with at least 8 species evident. If you need COMMON
      YELLOWTHROAT for the county, this is the place to go - they were all
      over the place!

      I did beat the heat, and I did turn the county blue with 52 species for
      the day, getting me to 113.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos