Lake Mendocino, Nov 29

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001
      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 -- I spent several hours birding Lake Mendocino today. The
      recent rains have brought the lake level up to 734', and most of the
      islands and muddy shorelines are again submerged. Thousands of scaups are
      back and are hanging out mostly along the east shore south of the Mesa. Of
      particular interest were four SNOW GEESE on the east shore south of Miti
      spit, an adult BALD EAGLE in the north end, and four CANVASBACKS and a male
      REDHEAD close to shore near Ky-En campground at the north end.
      For those who haven't been to the lake recently, Coyote Dam has
      been closed to all public access since Sep. 11, and it is no longer
      possible to walk across the top of the dam. This greatly limits birders'
      viewing of the extreme south end of the lake where loons and goldeneyes
      sometimes hang out and of two of the most reliable Rock Wren sites in the
      county.
      Back in Potter Valley, a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW has been hanging
      out among the Golden-crowned Sparrows in my neighborhood since Nov 23.