August Bodega Bay & Fort Bragg Pelagic Reports

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29 8:14 PM
      Hello, Seabirders,

      This is a report of pelagic trips by Shearwater Journeys for August
      9, 10, 12, & 26 from Fort Bragg and August 14 from Bodega Bay. The
      most productive of these trips was the August 14th trip from Bodega
      Bay. Ground fog threatened our trip, but we moved north of Bodega
      Canyon toward the "football" and found a nice "sucker hole."
      Highlights of this trip included: 125 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES, with
      64 sitting around the boat at one point; a fly-by LAYSAN ALBATROSS;
      1500 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 1 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, 6 BULLER'S
      SHEARWATERS, and 500 SOOTY SHEARWATERS; 12 ASHY STORM-PETRELS; 2
      SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, 2 POMARINE JAEGERS, 1 PARASITIC JAEGER, and 2 LONG-
      TAILED JAEGERS. The Fort Bragg trips were plagued with mechanical
      boat problems on August 9 & 10. The trips were still run, but on a
      smaller boat. The boat was deemed "fixed" for the August 12th trip,
      and we resumed our schedule on the Trek II. However, problems arose
      again, and the August 26th trip had to be canceled. (Full refunds
      apply) In all fairness, the offshore weather would have probably
      canceled this trip the morning of departure, anyway. For at least
      eight years, our Fort Bragg trips have gone off without a hitch, and
      it is very regretful that these circumstances happened. The vessel is
      particularly suited for offshore pelagic trips, and I'm sure that we
      will resume a full schedule. In eight years, only one trip has been
      weathered out from Fort Bragg.

      We thank the participants who participated on these trips. The
      leaders on the August 14 Bodega Bay trip were: Lisa Hug, Kirsten
      Lindquist, Steve Howell, Don Doolittle, & Debra Shearwater. Leaders
      on the Fort Bragg trips were: Aug 9- Lisa Hug, Clay Kempf, Steve
      Howell, & Debra Shearwater; Aug 10- Lisa Hug, Steve Howell, & Debra
      Shearwater; Aug 12- Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Don Doolittle, &
      Debra Shearwater. The species lists follow.

      We have openings on a wonderful combination set of trips from Bodega
      Bay and Fort Bragg with a day of coastal birding, along Highway 1
      between the two trips. Also trips from Bodega Bay and Fort Bragg are
      a great combination with Monterey trips since the seabirds distribute
      themselves differently each season.

      Our remaining Fort Bragg trips are:
      SEP 5 with Lisa Hug, John Luther, & Debra Shearwater
      SEP 16 with Lisa Hug, John Sterling, John Luther, Rob Fowler, & Debra
      Shearwater

      Our remaining Bodega Bay trips are:
      SEP 7 with Luke Cole, Lisa Hug, John Luther, Steve Howell, Jennifer
      Green, & Debra Shearwater
      SEP 14 with John Sterling, Alvaro Jaramillo, Alan Hopkins, & Debra
      Shearwater
      SEP 30 with Luke Cole, Lisa Hug, Jim Danzenbaker, Steve Howell, &
      Debra Shearwater
      OCT 19 with Lisa Hug, Jennifer Green, & Debra Shearwater
      The October 8 Bodega Bay trip is canceled.

      To make a reservation, please contact Debra Shearwater at the address
      in her signature, or by email: debi@..., or phone:
      831/637.8527.

      AUGUST 14, 2007 BODEGA BAY (Bodega Canyon & North: all in SONOMA COUNTY)

      PACIFIC LOON-1
      COMMON LOON-1
      LAYSAN ALBATROSS-1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-125