Outlet of Kelsey Creek/Lake County and Yellowjacket warning

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2007
      Wed. Aug. 22, 2007. Today at noon I made my way out to the outlet
      of Kelsey Creek in Clear Lake State Park. This has been one of the
      best birding locations in Lake County during years when water depth
      in Clear Lake is low enough to expose the mud flat at the outlet of
      the creek. The area remained underwater during all of 2005 and 2006,
      but Clear Lake is presently at 2.38 ft. on the Rumsey scale, low
      enough to expose mud below the Creeping Water Primrose that has
      unfortunately covered most of the mud flats around the lake shore.
      To get to the outlet, pay the $5 entry fee to the park and go to the
      north end of the Visitor Center parking lot. Find the trail leading
      into the dense thicket of willows and follow it ca. 100 yds to the
      tules. It is difficult to follow as many willows have fallen during
      the past two years. Also, pay attention to this WARNING!!. About 75
      yds along the trail there is a large aerial YELLOWJACKET nest about
      three feet above ground on the underside of a fallen willow. The
      nest is just about 15 yds before the location where you reach the
      tules and if you try to duck under this trunk your face will be
      nearly right on the nest. I went past the yellowjackets by going off
      the trail out towards the tules and around. Look for the trail which
      passes through the tules out onto the flat at the outlet of the
      creek.
      Today at the outlet there were 7 American Avocets, 2 Marbled
      Godwits, 3 Greater Yellowlegs, 7 Caspian Terns and about 100 gulls.
      There were also Spotted, Western and Least Sandpipiers.
      Dave Woodward
      Lakeport