USTP 8/17

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2007
      Fri, 17 Aug 2007 -- Hi all, This morning I went to the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant. The north pond is almost completely dry, but there is
      still a good patch of wet mud with shorebirds. I did not find a
      Golden-Plover, but there was one BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER among the few LEAST,
      WESTERN, and SPOTTED SANDPIPERS. On the middle pond there were at least
      three BLUE-WINGED TEALS sitting on the bank, a number of NORTHERN
      SHOVELLERS, and two more HOODED MERGANSERS have joined the one that has
      been there for weeks now.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2008
        Greetings Mendobirders- Barbara and I birded the Ukiah Sewage Treatment
        Plant are this morning with Cheryl Watson. The north pond is being drained
        and there has been lots of mud exposed. There were ~100 peeps, about 3:1
        LEAST to WESTERN SANDPIPERS. There were also 6-8 each of GREATER
        YELLOWLEGS and LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. There was a single BAIRD'S
        SANDPIPER and also a single SEMIPALMATED PLOVER. Along the river was a
        WILLOW FLYCATCHER, the first I have seen this fall. It is feast or famine
        out there right now, and it is unlikely this will last long. The north
        pond is being drained and dried so they can plow it up.

        Chuck

        Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
        Ukiah, CA 95482

        cevaughn@...