Ukiah area

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2007
      Hi All,

      I birded the Ukiah sewage ponds and Lake Mendocino today (Aug 15). Of
      interest to me at Lake Mendocino near the dam was an adult Forster's Tern
      (first in county for me at last) and 3 adult Caspian Terns.

      At the sewage ponds 4 Red-necked Phalaropes were present along with a
      Spotted, 6 Western, and 3 Least Sandpipers. Of greater interest was an
      adult Pacific Golden-Plover feeding in the mud with Killdeer. It still had
      a black belly between the legs to the vent and black marks along the white
      flanks and black on the throat and chin. The upperparts were very golden.
      The perplexing part was that the primaries went well beyond the tip of the
      tail (about 1.5 cm plus in my estimation) and 4 primaries were visible past
      the tertials which is what an American Golden-Plover should show. However
      the primary tips did not show even spacing. It had the tall, long-legged
      look of a Pacific Golden-Plover. So I am saying Pacific Golden-Plover for
      the moment, but certainly would be interested in any comments and hope that
      someone might be able to see the bird tomorrow. You might be interested in
      looking in Western Birds Vol 35, No 2, 2004 at the article by Alvaro
      Jaramillo on Identification of Adult Pacific and American Golden-Plovers in
      their Southbound Migration. It has two featured photos on the back cover.

      John Luther
      Oakland