Re: [Mendobirds] Ungrateful Finches

  • John Lace
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hi Jim,
      Our Lesser Goldfinches ate most of the early leaves off our sunflowers this spring but the sunflowers grew new leaves faster than they could be eaten and bloomed marvelously.
      John Lace
      Grass Valley, CA

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2007
        For the last several years we routinely have had Lesser Goldfinches eat
        (really EAT) the leaves of our Echinacea plants. Sometimes only the
        spines are left. At first I thought it was major insect damage until I
        saw them actually doing it. They're so small they can perch and tear at
        the same time. The new thing this year is they have recently discovered
        the hulled sunflower seed kernels feeder (it used to just get medium
        small birds such as titmice and nuthatches, and one very determined
        female Acorn Woodpecker as customers).
        Maureen